Thursday, February 25, 2010
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
“As the world becomes increasingly interdependent and fragile, the future at once holds great peril and great promise. To move forward, we must recognize that in the midst of a magnificent diversity of cultures and life forms, we are one human family and one Earth community with a common destiny. We must join together to bring a global society founded on respect for nature, universal human rights, economic justice and a culture of peace. Towards this end, it is imperative that we declare our responsibility to one another, to the greater community of life and to future generations.”
Preamble, Earth Charter
To Empower people to create sustainable, lasting change in their communities and countries through:
- Creating Awareness of the current issues and conditions
- Creating Alternatives that promote Dignity, Justice, Unity, and Accountability
- Taking Action that supports the creation of these alternatives
What's happening right now:
South Dakota's Lakota Sioux- Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe 2010 Crisis
- February 1st, 2010 Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe has declared state of emergency after severe ice storm devastates reservation
- Storm topples more than 3000 power poles
- 13,000 people without power, heat and water
What needs to be addressed:
1. The water system is outdated and operating at capacity, leaving the tribe no room for economic expansion and preventing its housing authority from building new homes. This allocation would put a long-term solution in place and give the Lakota Sioux people an opportunity to prosper. Without water -- the most basic building block of life and society -- the people of the Lakota Sioux Reservation have little hope of impacting their situation in a way where they may prosper and thrive.
2. To explain the need for water infrastructure, since the late 1950's the tribe was forced to move from their original Tribal Head Quarters, known as the Old Agency on Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe, which was located on the river bottom. The Tribal leaders during this time, built schools, hospitals and our own police department with tribal dollars. All is under water now. The book "Dammed Indians" shows how the Pick-Sloan Act forced tribal people up and down the Missouri River. This was done to make way for the Dam to make Hydro Power for the government, our precious resource of water is utilized to generate billions of dollars worth of electricity yearly, for the United States Government.
3. Currently, without a water infrastructure, the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe cannot build new homes and cannot build on any new development. The system is keeping an impoverished nation, impoverished.
4. 86% Current unemployment rate
SHIFT from hoping and waiting for the government to handle this, to BEING THE VOICE TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.
SHIFT from not being informed or heard to LETTING YOUR VOICE BE HEARD, REACHING OUT TO ELECTED OFFICIALS, GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS and INDIVIDUALS TO HELP CREATE EQUITY, DIGNITY, ACCOUNTABILITY AND JUSTICE.
TAKE ACTION BE THE SHIFT
WE NEED YOUR VOICE
The Government response has been slow and insufficient. You can make the difference - To Create a LASTING solution beyond the immediate crisis. It will only take you a few minutes and you can impact generations to come. Please click here for more details: BE THE SHIFT
Source: Shift the Power to the People
Their mission is to develop American Indian economic self-sufficiency through business ownership.
For more information visit the website
Sources: Gil Birmingham's Twitter & TwilightLexicon
Monday, February 22, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO - Fan Trips.Travel recently announced that select players from the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints will take the field to play celebrity baseball to benefit Haitian Relief Efforts by the American Red Cross and Hope for Haiti Now. This game, in addition to featuring Saints players like Kyle Eckel, Garrett Hartley, and Lynell Hamilton, also includes notable New Orleans celebrities and cast members from the movies Twilight and New Moon, and takes place on March 20, 2010.
On the Twilight roster actors Chaske Spencer, Alex Meraz and Tyson Houseman will be stepping up to the plate. On the New Orleans side, Saints kicker Garrett Hartley and Kyle Eckel along with actors Wayne Morgan and Thomas Hyde III will hit the field. Highlights of this unique baseball adventure include watching a Vampire Baseball™ Exhibition Game with Stars, getting autographs and photos with the stars, meet and greets, and an exciting after-party and concert. 25% of net proceeds from each Vampire Baseball™ ticket sale will go towards these Haitian Relief organizations to support their ongoing efforts to rebuild lives destroyed by this disaster . A portion of proceeds will also be used to support New Orleans non-profit organizations such as The Blood Center and the 9th Ward Field of Dreams. In addition to the game, The Blood Center will host an on-site blood drive.
The final roster for all Stars slated to appear at Celebrity Vampire Baseball™ in New Orleans will be announced shortly. Date: March 20, 2010. Ticket prices start at $25 for game admission only. All autograph sessions and promotional merchandise are not included in the price of an admission ticket and extra charges apply. For more information about Twilight Fan Trips™, or to purchase tickets, visit the website or call Jeannie Barresi at 719-471-0222Source: NewOrleans.com
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Friday, February 19, 2010
Tinsel Korey has been added to TWO stops on the Official Twilight Convention 2010 tour!
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Monday, February 15, 2010
FINALLY the news we've been waiting for. After all the emails sent to Creation and the petition that was started to get Tinsel Korey added to Creation's Official Twilight Convention it seems like our work is finally being recognized.
Keep your eyes out for her to be added to Atlanta and hopefully more conventions, such as Los Angeles, like she said!
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Saturday, February 13, 2010
This just in from Tinsel’s PR Team
‘True North Sports and Entertainment, owners and operators of the MTS Centre and the Manitoba Moose Hockey Club have invited Tinsel Korey of “Twilight Saga: Eclipse” to speak to Aboriginal youth prior to their hockey game on Saturday, February 13, 2010. The Moose play in the AHL and serve as the primary affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks in the NHL, for the past 10 seasons they have hosted an Aboriginal Youth Night prior to one of the games.
The night has been called “Follow Your Dreams”, the concept is fairly simple in nature, the goals are to encourage First Nations Youth from around Manitoba to pursue their dreams through healthy living and a very specific focus on suicide prevention, due to the high suicide rate amongst First Nations youth. The 63 First Nations Communities around Manitoba were supplied 2500 tickets to bring in youth from their area. Some of the youth travel over 21 hours with long stretches of winter ice roads to attend.
The youth who receive the tickets are then invited to attend a pre-game event at the MTS Centre, the concourse is lined with information and interactive booths that the youth can visit. The booths include education institutions who provide scholarships, community groups, healthy living groups, etc. The youth who attend the pre game event also receive a gift and a meal, so the entire night is no cost to them.
Tinsel will share her views on the importance of education and living a clean, substance free lifestyle.”
Friday, February 12, 2010
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Our Valentine's D8By Caroline Bankoff
NAME: Alex Meraz
BIRTHDAY: January 10, 1985
WHY WE LOVE HIM: He's multi-faceted. In addition to playing volatile werewolf Paul in The Twilight Saga: New Moon, Meraz is also an avid painter and contemporary dancer.
UPCOMING PROJECTS: The Twilight Saga: Eclipse and Savage Innocent, a new project from Kids director Larry Clark.
ROMANTIC TIES: Sorry Twilighters. He's taken by wife Kim, with whom he has a son named Somak.
WHAT'S HIS SIGN? As a Capricorn, Meraz is likely reserved, respectful of traditions, and steadily devoted to family members, so it's no wonder he's already married.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TYSON!