Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tyson on being in the wolfpack


Being a member of the 'Twilight' wolf pack has its perks. Edmonton's Tyson Houseman has gone from browsing retail jobs on Craigslist to leading a jet-set lifestyle in little over a year, thanks to a last-minute decision to show up to an open casting call for 'Twilight: New Moon' in Vancouver. He decided to audition just for the heck of it, and wound up landing the role of Quil Ateara, a member of Jacob's wolf pack.

Houseman is reprising his role as the wise-cracking Quil in this month's 'Twilight: Eclipse'. We caught up with him to chat about everything from Twihards to what makes him and the other wolf pack members puke.

How did you get into acting?

I really kind of stumbled into it. Before 'New Moon', the only thing I had really done was just high school plays and stuff like that, and really just small parts. A year out of high school I decided to move to Vancouver. After living in Vancouver for about four months, I found the audition for 'New Moon' on Craigslist. There was an open casting call, so I went down and gave it a shot. I didn't expect to get anything out of it. I was really casual, and I think that's what gave me a bit of an edge. I got a call back, and a week later they called me in and said that I had the part.

So why did you decide to respond to the casting call? Are you a fan of 'Twilight'?

Not really. I didn't really know that much about the whole 'Twilight phenomenon'. I hadn't read the books or seen the movie. I knew of it, but I didn't know that it had such a huge fan following. I think the first glimpse of that I had was when I went down to the open casting call. I got there an hour early, and there was already a line up like six blocks long. It was pretty crazy.

Read the rest of the interview here.

Become a Fan of Pink Paws